The Site Builder is the tool you use to build your Site structure, navigation and organize your spaces and apply themes.
Use the Site Builder to create one or more Sites, add categories and subcategories to each site and organize spaces, blogs and links into categories.
The Site Builder is also where you apply themes on different areas.
Go to: Refined Administration > Site Builder
On this page
Building your Site
A Site that runs Refined has a top menu that we call the Category menu and a Site Home. The Category Menu act as a navigation where the users can use the dropdown feature to find what they are looking for. The Site Home is the landing page of the Site where you get an overview of what's happening as well as good ways to navigate.
The Category Menu
The Category Menu consists of the Categories you add to your Site. A category is a way to categorise your spaces to keep the ones that belong together in the same place. Each Site that you add has a Category Menu of its own. The Categories are added in the Site Builder and once a category exists you can drag spaces to it, or add sub-categories to refine your structure more.
The Site Home
The Site Home is the landing page of your site. The layout of a Site Home is made using the Layout Editor and adding Modules to it. Modules will only show content that is available for a user to see based on their permissions.
The Theme is the theme of the Site, it is what surrounds a Site Home, Category Home or any page on that Site. The theme that is set as the theme in the Global Configuration will be the theme that is applied to every content of Confluence, unless you specifically set the theme to another Site or Category.
Apart from running Refined everywhere, you can also choose to add one site that is themed and structured with Refined, whereas another area of Confluence is kept as it.
Having Multiple Sites on one Confluence Instance
With Refined you can add multiple sites to one Confluence instance.
Building the Category Menu on a Site
As an admin, you can create the Category Menu in the Refined Configuration. You add Categories and drag spaces to them. Any space that is not added to a category will show up as Uncategorized in the right hand side.
There are three kinds of Category modules
- Category module
- Blog module
- HTML module
The Category Module is the most commonly used and with it you can organize spaces into that category.
Adding a Category
To create a category simply press the Add Category button in the top left corner of the Site.
- Category module - a container for spaces. A category gets its own Category home, which can be turned off if you don't want it, and can contain sub-categories as well.
- Blog module - a feed for blogposts from your Confluence
- HTML module - anything you want it to be.
Learn more about how to add categories to the site builder below.
|Description||Available in theme version|
By default a user will only have permission to see a category if it contains viewable content for that user. You'll find more information on the Category menu and the category permission system under Site Builder.
Can contain links, spaces, blogs and sub-categories.
Category Module parameters
Used to display blog posts from configured sources.
Blog Module parameters
Renders and displays supplied HTML. Useful for widgets or custom content.
HTML Module parameters
More settings to a Site - Themes, categories & footer
In the Configuration for Refined some settings and configuration apply to the entire site, while some can be set on a site level. Any site that does not have explicitly set settings will get what is set on the global site.
Within the Global Site or additional Sites, you can configure a category menu. On each Site, the categories will be directly accessible from a drop down category menu. In the category section of the site builder you can create new category modules, subcategories for existing categories and custom links to internal or external resources.
Create categories in each site and drag the relevant spaces to the categories.
To change the theme and connect users to categories, disable category homes and configure other category settings click the settings cog on the Category you want to edit.
The Site Builder features in short
- Sites can be Full Sites or Single Space Sites
- Categories and subcategories can be dragged and dropped into a Site.
- Spaces can be dragged and dropped into a category or subcategory.
- A category and a Site can be dragged to a new position in their respective menus.
- A subcategory can be dragged to another category or subcategory. Subcategories can also be dragged to a new position within the same category.
- You can select multiple spaces at once and drag them to a new position or category.
- Uncategorized spaces can be filtered based on their title, making it fast and easy to find the correct space.
- Links can be created and added to categories or subcategories.
- Themes can be added to the Global Site, or individually to Sites, Categories, Subcategories and Single Space Sites.